Genres: Fiction, Fantasy
Release: November 3, 2015
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.Book | Ebook | Audiobook | Goodreads
The time is right, and the Captain gathers his old company together to take revenge and reclaim their glory. That the Captain is a mouse makes him no less intimidating and persuasive. That the company is comprised of a mish-mash of other animals brings them a great mix of skills… and personality disorders.
This excellent novella turns Grimm into Grimmdark.
What Makes it Epic Grit:
- Adventure and Wonder: Fluffy animals band together for a quest.
- Believable Characters: Anthropomorphism aside, crazy concept aside, I totally bought into this.
- Real Consequences: Deadly consequences.
- Epic in Scope: Hell, they battled for control of the whole of the Gardens.
- Subverts “Good versus Evil” Tropes: Call this “Bad versus Bad.”
- Different Perspectives: The ensemble format and shifting viewpoints worked well.
It’s Inglourious Basterds meets The Wind in the Willows. They fit together like chocolate and peanut butter. I loved it!
Also check out "A Kippled Meal" the flash fiction story by Daniel Polansky and Lawrence M. Schoen. This little tale also features animals who discuss their culinary preferences. Their preferences are, unfortunately, true to their natures.