Series: Grimdark Magazine Series #1
Genres: Anthology, Fiction, Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Science Fiction
Type: Electronic Magazine
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.Ebook | Goodreads
This magazine is exactly what I was looking for. There are stories (fantasy and science fiction), interviews, an essay, and a book review. The highlights for me were the stories “The Woman I Used to Be” by Gerri Leen and “Bad Seed” by Mark Lawrence.
“The Woman I Used to Be” is a science fiction story featuring a woman struggling with amnesia in the wake of a shuttle crash. “Bad Seed” by Mark Lawrence is a fantasy story set in his Broken Empire world and tells the backstory of one of its characters.
What Makes it Epic Grit:
- Adventure and Wonder: Yup.
- Believable Characters: The characters in “The Woman I Used to Be” and “Bad Seed” particularly stand out.
- Real Consequences: Deadly consequences.
- Epic in Scope: Not in all cases, but it did feel pretty big for each of the protagonists.
- Subverts “Good versus Evil” Tropes: Yup.
- Different Perspectives: Yup.
This inaugural issue was a blast! I’ll being reading the next.